Saturday, October 8, 2011

First Impressions of Service

          I think I should start off by saying my initial thoughts on service were way off base and I actually felt much more comfortable than I expected. I was definitely in the wrong mindset going to the CFL. I was thinking that that our learners wouldn't actually be that interested in learning and that their level of knowledge would all be that of a 4th or 5th grader, as Mark was telling us during our training. That mentality made me very concerned with my ability to be able to teach my learner because of the perception of them all having such a low educational level. I was wrong.
          When I met my learner I was happy to find out she actually already received her GED back in 2003. She made the obligation to come back to the CFL to "sharpen up" on her previous GED skills and wanted more help with paragraph and sentence formation. This devotion my learner has given to herself and her three children gives me even more respect for her and her persistence to better her education. It also gives me more of an initiative to push myself to do my best whenever I go to the CFL.
          The trip to the CFL was a bit more comfortable than the last. I was lucky enough to get a window seat this time and not be forced to sit on a wheel well. On our second trip into the neighborhoods I felt a bit more comfortable than I did on our first trip. I was more aware of where we were and of our surroundings. I feel that the area really isn't as bad as its made out to be. There seems to be a pretty good amount of traffic and activity going through the main streets which I believe contributes to less crime being able to occur. I hope that as the next couple weeks go on we can all become more accustomed and deferential to the neighborhoods.
          On our way home I felt relief. I was happy with our first experience of tutoring at the CFL and I think we can all grow from our first session as we become more familiar with our learners. I can only hope that my learner and I become closer and learn more about one another so we can be as successful as possible over the next academic year.

No comments:

Post a Comment