Sunday, September 25, 2011

Expectations at Service

In all honesty, I'm a bit nervous to go to service. I feel that I don't have the patience and skills necessary yet to be a successful tutor. I definitely feel that more practice and training is necessary for me to be able to meet the expectations that CFL sets for its tutor. I also am a bit concerned about the adults we are tutoring. I keep getting that idea that these people are going to be tough, un-accepting individuals that will view us tutors as being privileged, wealthy college kids that are there just to fulfill a class requirement. I guess that if I was in their shoes, I'd feel the same way. 'Why aren't there certified tutors here teaching me instead of these kids?'
I expect the actual building to be some aged and run-down, and that the facility won't have many amenities or resources that will help us to be successful tutors. I have a feeling that the area in which CFL is located will be impoverished and dangerous as well. Coming from my sheltered upstate New York hometown and going to these new areas that are poor and somewhat depressed, is new to me and I feel it's something that I need to learn how to adapt to.
Now I can only hope that come Wednesday, I will have a open-minded and welcoming individual that I can feel comfortable with and tutor to my best abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment