Monday, September 12, 2011

First 12 Observations of SJU

1. I wasn't surprised when we first arrived Monday afternoon and we were greeted by three eager helping upperclassmen. In the past, every time I came here someone was there to help you out; whether it was your first time visiting SJU or your welcome to orientation. I love how supportive and comforting the students and faculty are at St. Joe's.
2. The food, thus far, has been a disappointment. I expected a little more bang for the buck. I'm really starting to regret not getting more declining balance because the crispy chicken sandwich combo is the only  meal I'm liking.
3. The workload really hasn't been that bad. I thought I would be swamped every night up until 2am writing some english paper but the most I've done is a couple blog posts, some math problems and a couple accounting statements.
4. Every day I find the campus more and more enjoyable. I knew I'd love this place from the first step I took onto SJU back in April of last year. The amenities available are awesome. The campus is a good size and the walks between classes are doable. Every once in a while I'll have to pick up the pace walking back from Connelley to Bellermine but other than that I luckily have all my classes on one side of campus.
5. The party scene here is another big disappointment. I've been able to get out four or five times on the weekends but other than that it's pretty boring. It got to a point this weekend where myself and two other suite mates left St. Joe's entirely and headed over to Temple. The party scene there is much more accommodating. I wasn't necessarily planning on wanting to leave on weekends but it's tough for freshmen guys to get into parties. Luckily a high school friend of mine knows a Junior here and we "got the hookup" a couple times over the last weekends.
6. I really wish my sleeping patterns weren't so screwed up. Some days I'll get eleven hours of sleep, others I'll get five or less. I know I should be asleep at 1am but seventh season of The Office has been so addicting the last couple nights.
7. I've never flipped a lanyard around my fingers, wrist, and neck so much in my entire life. They're like binky's for babies.
8. The style around here is very mixed. Although it seems many have similar style to mine, preppyish or athletic. In Loudonville it was always a nice clean looking poise with collared shirts or button downs, so the trends here aren't a surprise.
9. You need to get involved around campus. I discovered boredom is very easy to come by. I plan to join the club tennis team this week, assuming I'll make it. It can be an easy way to meet people with similar interests and a good way to get to know some older kids on campus which has many positives.
10. The construction around campus is a bit of a disturbance. I live in LaFarge and the noise of early morning construction is never a pleasant sound to wake up to.
11. Friends are easy to come by. Be friendly and talkative and you won't have a problem meeting people. Everyones nice around here and everyones looking to make new friends, so were all in the same boat with meeting new people.
12. I'm going to have a lot more responsibilities as a college student. I need to do well; not just for myself but for the my parents sake, after all a $50,000 for tuition is something I don't want to screw up.

No comments:

Post a Comment